Date of Meeting:
Research Council Meeting
Friday, November 18, 2016
Attendance – George Hospodarsky, Alberto Segre, Nicholas Borcherding, Faryle Nothwehr, Barbara Eckstein, John Nelson, Johna Leddy, Jane Nachtman, Elizabeth Constantine, Weimin Han, Carolyn Colvin, Jessica Boyle
Others –Rich Hichwa, Ann Ricketts, Jennifer Lassner, Michael Weaver
Item 1: Minutes from the September 23rd Research Council Meeting
- Minutes were reviewed and approved with one spelling correction
Item 2: OVPR&ED Organizational Chart Update (Rich Hichwa)
- Hichwa discussed the updated organizational chart, effective November 1, 2016. Duties and reports for Cheryl Reardon and David Conrad have been reassigned, some on a temporary basis until the Assistant VP for Economic Development position has been filled. Goal for filling that position is before the beginning of 2017.
Item 3: Human Subjects Projections Program Taskforce (Jen Lassner)
- Lassner spoke about the HSPP Taskforce charge, timeline and process. OVPR&ED wants to make sure that it is doing all it can to streamline the process for faculty and make sure that protections for human subjects in research are being maximized at UI. The taskforce’s goal is to have a report to Dan Reed by Spring 2017. There were suggestions from the RC to add members to the taskforce with more technical expertise. Several RC members plan to follow up with specific suggestions for additions to the taskforce.
Item 4: Post-election Discussion (Jen Lassner w/accompanying Lewis-Burke Handout)
- Lassner gave a high-level overview of observations from the Lewis-Burke post-election analysis. The full document will be distributed via email following the RC meeting. If RC has questions following review of the document, discussion can continue at the next RC meeting.
Item 5: University Budget (Ann Ricketts)
- Ricketts discussed the University budget process and the timeline for budget decisions.
Item 6: Time Savings Subcommittee (Johna Leddy)
- There was not enough time remaining in the meeting to talk about this item. Michael Weaver will schedule a time for the subcommittee to meet.