Research Council Meeting
Thursday April 16, 2015, 1:00 – 2:30 pm
UCC 2670 conference room (OVPRED Suite)
- Welcome and updates – Ed Gillan, Chair
- Update on RC charter revisions progress – Faculty Council/Senate
- Review and approval of March 12, 2015 meeting minutes
- Update on recent OVPRED activities
- Research Council meeting with OVPRED Research Fellows (Gigi Durham, Tom Scholz, David Gier) –informal conversation on their activities, plans, thoughts for future impact of Fellows. A few questions to stimulate discussion are:
- Introductions and thoughts on why the OVPR Research Fellow program sounded like an attractive challenge for them to take on at this stage of their academic careers.
- Discussion of some short term and long term activities/projects that they are pursuing in OVPR as a Research Fellows (past work & future ideas?).
- What do they feel could be their biggest potential impact on OVPR during their RF term (or some long term impact that will continue beyond their fellowship terms)?
- Do they see opportunities for additional Research Fellows to help build new successful OVPR initiatives in emerging areas of need such as?
- Any thoughts on where the Research Fellows and Research Council may consider working together on some collective beneficial OVPR advisory activities?
- Brief update on next meeting’s topic - undergraduate research initiative – Bob Kirby
Items of potential interest to RC members and their colleagues:
- Shifting from R to D: The ABCs of translating a great scientific idea into a great startup
- Arthur Krieg, MD, April 23rd, 5:00-6:30pm, Nebraska Room, 335 Iowa Memorial Union
- Celebrating Excellence: The Second Annual University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony (April 28, 2015, Sheraton Hotel)