1 – Welcome to new members – Ed Gillan, Chair: Christopher Benson, Internal Medicine; David Cunning, Philosophy
2 – RC member discussion with John Keller, Dean of the Graduate College, regarding GC changes, challenges in meeting its strategic plan, and ideas for plans beyond 2016. We are a diverse university and graduate students are educated in a wide range of different, discipline specific ways. Dean Keller offered these questions for us to consider for his visit:
- a) how can we assess the success of our graduate students and our graduate programs?
- b) do you know the doctoral completion rates of your respective programs? (check the GC program data website for some basic information); what can programs be doing to differently to enhance the success of our students?
- c) do your students gain the preponderance of their paid assistantship experience in either Teaching or Research, rather than a good balance of both opportunities?
- d) do the faculty have experiences and desire to guide, mentor and counsel students in their preparation for a wide variety of career options?
- e) are there opportunities on campus for field specific re-alignments that would advance the goal of interdisciplinary graduate education?
3 – Review and approval of December 12, 2014 meeting minutes
4 – Update on recent OVPRED activities
5 – Update from Ed Gillan on progress of ICOI policy and new RC charter revisions sent to
governance groups (faculty, staff, graduate, undergraduate)
6 – Update from Bob Kirby (Director of ICRU) on undergraduate research subcommittee
Items of potential interest to RC members and their colleagues
UI OVPRED administrative research fellowship - application materials due April 1, 2015
State of Graduate Education address on Tuesday, March 3, 2015 (Art Building West, 5:30pm)
Internal Funding Initiatives Proposals (due March 24, 2015):
- 1) Arts & Humanities Initiative (AHI) Standard Grants;
- 2) Major Project Grants;
- 3) Major Conferences/Ideation Meetings;
- 4) Core Facilities/Shared Equipment;
- 5) Strategic Global Initiatives Award.
Research communications skills workshops, TED speaker Melissa Marshall (April 10, 2015)
Celebrating Excellence: The Second Annual University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony (April 28, 2015, Sheraton Hotel)