Date of Meeting:
Attendance – Ed Gillian, Faryle Nothwehr, Barbara Eckstein, Carolyn Colvin, Kate O’Brien, Lance Heady, Kevin Kelly, Paul Soderdahl, Johna Leddy, David Cunning, Claire Sponsler
Others – Bob Kirby, Cheryl Reardon, Ann Ricketts, David Conrad
Item 1: Welcome (Ed Gillian)
Item 2: Approval of September 2015 Meeting Minutes
- Draft minutes from the September RC meeting were reviewed and approved
- Note that Spring 2015 Undergraduate Research Report was appended to May 2015 minutes
Item 3: Updates from OVPR & ED (Cheryl Reardon)
- State of Research presentation scheduled for Monday, November 2 from 5:30-6:30 with a reception to follow. Location is the Callaghan Conference room in the College of Public Health. Research Council is encouraged to join
- NCURA is sending representatives to campus to help train Research Administrators during the first week in November.
- There will be a call for Research Award Nominations in November
- There will be a new award breaking up the graduate research award into separate awards for the social sciences and the arts & humanities
- New award for Student Intellectual Property achievement
- New award for Research Communications; telling the story of UI Research
- There is a pilot project gathering data on UI’s Central Microscopy Facility with the aim of securing more grants
- Creative Matters Lecture Series continues to be a major success and is really more than a lecture series. David Gier, OVPR Faculty Fellow (Music) is the office leader. October 22nd marked the fourth event showcasing the work of writer Etgar Keret. Event had far ranging attendance. The next scheduled event is a lecture by sculpter Theo Jansen. Overflow room has already been booked in anticipation of a large turnout.
Item 4: Background and Overview of Proposed Economic Development Charter Committee (David Conrad)
- David presented a Power Point (Research Council Presentation - Oct 23.pdf)
- Discussion centered on quantifying or measuring the dissemination of knowledge and the proposed charge of the group. Ed Gillan will bring the idea up to the Faculty Senate
- Subcommittee composed of Johna Leddy, Ed Gillan, Kate O’Brien, and Paul Soderdahl will meet to discuss issues and next steps
Items of Potential Interest to RC Members
- State of Research Address by Dan Reed, University of Iowa Vice President University of Iowa Office of Research & Economic Development. Monday, November 2, 2015 from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM (RSVP)
- 6th Annual Fall Undergraduate Research Festival; Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 4:30-6:30PM 2nd Floor Atrium, UCC (Old Capitol Mall)
- FY2016 Internal Funding Initiatives - OVPRED is accepting applications to encourage leading edge scholarship, creative activities and interdisciplinary research. The next application deadline is 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 15, 2015.