5/8/2017

Date of Meeting: 

Monday, May 8, 2017

Research Council Meeting

Monday, May 8

Attendance – Johna Leddy, Jane Nachtman, Jane Paulsen, Faryle Nothwehr, Carolyn Colvin, Nicholas Borcherding, Robert Kirby, Alberto Segre, Kevin Kelly, Gary Gussin, George Hospodarsky, John Nelson, Weimin Han

Others – Dan Reed, Rich Hichwa, Jennifer Lassner, Ann Ricketts, Steve Pradarelli, Michael Weaver

Item 1:  Minutes from the March 24th Research Council Meeting

  • Minutes were reviewed and approved

Item 2:  Updates from OVPR&ED

  • Budget Update – Dan Reed discussed the ongoing budget process and upcoming meetings with central administration.  The proposed tuition increase would nearly make up for de-appropriated and cut state revenue, but not all.  The group discussed some of the resulting OVPR&ED budget decisions and potential sources of additional revenue to help to plug holes in the budget, specifically philanthropic giving
  • Central Services Review Committee – Reed discussed the different committees and their charge as well as a review of the first meeting of the Research and Economic Development Committee.  The committee will be adding three additional faculty members; Reed asked that Research Council pass on any additional recommendations for members to Tom Vaughn
  • External Research Funding – Reed discussed research funding numbers year-to-date.  Jennifer Lassner discussed the GSI rate and the change in funding criteria for R01 grants to a points-based system that limits more highly funded PIs.
  • Economic Development Updates
    • Marie Kerbeshian, Assistant Vice President & Executive Director for the University of Iowa Research Foundation will start later in May
    • MERGE/TRI/ProtoStudios will be hosting an open house in the MERGE space on June 15th
    • IP Policy Update – Faculty Senate approved the latest draft at their last meeting.  The updates to the policy will bring UI in line with current case law and compliance.  the policy will be implemented over the summer and the fall following final review and approval by President Harreld
  • HRPP Taskforce – Lassner discussed the taskforce’s charge, which is to look at the whole of Human Research Subjects Protections across the University.  Five focus groups have been held and a survey sent to 6,000 stakeholders.  They will look through the data for common themes and potential action items this summer

Item 3:  Time Savings Subcommittee (Johna Leddy/Alberto Segre)

Item 4:  Roundtable

  • UMETRICS – What data can we show to people in the State of Iowa to show UI’s investment outside of UI’s footprint?
  • Where do students go – Iowa is a net importer of students and a net exporter of graduates