(a) Advise in the formulation, review, and application of policy and guidelines for University research and its funding both from within and without the University; (b) Advise on questions concerning the compliance of research with University policies; (c) Advise in developing methods for informing University members about research opportunities and for stimulating, evaluating, and rewarding good research; (d) Provide a forum to which faculty and students may refer questions and recommendations concerning University research policies and procedures.
- Edward Gillan, Chemistry (Chair)
- Johna Leddy, Chemistry
- Joseph Dillon, Endocrinology (fall only)
- Kaikobad Irani, Cardiovascular Medicine
- Alberto Segre, Computer Science
- Faryle Nothwehr, Community & Behavioral Health
- Barbara Eckstein, English
- Claire Sponsler, English
- Neil Segal, Orthopedics (fall only)
- Carolyn Colvin, Teaching & Learning
- Christopher Benson, Internal Medicine (spring only)
- David Cunning, Philosophy (spring only)
- Gary Gussin, Emeritus Faculty (non-voting)
- Cara Hamann, UIPDA President, Post Doc (non-voting)
- Nicholas Borcherding, Graduate Student, College of Medicine
- Ryan Tinnes, Undergraduate Student
- Patricia Gillette, Human Subjects-IRB, Staff Representative
- George Hospodarsky, Physics & Astronomy, Staff Representative
- Scott Bounds, Physics & Astronomy, Staff Representative
- Paul Soderdahl, Library Administration, Staff Representative
- Dan Reed, Vice President for Research and Economic Development
- Rich Hichwa, Senior Associate Vice President for Research
- Ann Ricketts, Assistant Vice President for Research
- Bob Kirby, Director, Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates
- September 29, 2014
- October 24, 2014
- November 17, 2014
- December 12, 2014
- February 27, 2015
- March 12, 2015
- April 16, 2015
- May 8, 2015
Council and Subcommittee Meeting Frequency
Approximately monthly meetings were held at times with best overlap of a majority of the committee. Some issues led to subcommittee formation (undergrad research, charter changes) and these met once or twice a month while active. A standing Publications Waiver subcommittee used email multiple times during the year (~5 cases reviewed in fall/spring). Several members served on the Rewards subcommittee.
Current Year Activities
- Formulated major revisions to Research Council charter, adding undergrad and postdoc representation, and broadening selection of faculty eligible to serve on RC.
- Discussed and helped create a talking points document for the Director of ICRU (Kirby) on ways UI and OVPR/Provost Office may creatively increase research opportunities for interested undergraduates - Creating an Integrated Approach to Undergraduate Research at the University of Iowa.pdf
- Provided input and suggested modifications to the draft OVPR new Institutional Conflict of Interest in Research Policy.
- Devoted one meeting for an in-depth discussion with Graduate College Dean John Keller on the status of graduate education at UI and challenges for the coming years.
- Provided advice to OVPR staff on their proposed formation of a Research Development Center in their office to aid faculty in developing competitive research grants.
- Had an in-depth discussion with the three faculty serving as Research Faculty Fellows in the OVPR (Durham, Scholz, Gier) on their plans for the near term and their thoughts on the impact the Fellow positions have on their careers and the OVPR office.
Anticipated Topics for 2015-2016
- Advise on OVPR policy for retention of research records/samples/data.
- Continue discussions on new ways to engage UG in research at UI.
- Discussing laboratory safety (EHS) and defining PI responsibilities.
- Brainstorming UI mechanisms to grow interdisciplinary collaborations